FYI: New California laws…
1. Carpool lane – 1st time $1068.50 starting 7/1/07 (The $271 posted
on the highway is old). Don’t do it again because 2nd time is going to be
double. 3rd time triple, and 4th time license suspended.
2. Incorrect lane change – $380. Don’t cross the lane on solid lines or intersections.
3. Block intersection – $485
4. Driving on the shoulder – $450
5. Cell phone use in the construction zone. – Double fine as of 07/01/07 .
(Cell phone use must be “hands free” while driving.)
6. Passengers over 18 not in their seatbelts – both passengers and drivers get tickets .
7. Speeders can only drive 3 miles above the limit.
8. DUI = JAIL (Stays on your driving record for 10 years!)
9. As of 07/01/07 cell phone use must be “hands free” while driving.
Ticket is $285. They will be looking for this like crazy – easy money for police department.
Has anyone else gotten this email? I found this in my interoffice mailbox and made note of it. I was going to check it out this morning, but it turns out, Snopes.com already did. I had mentioned it to Trinity this morning, but when I printed it out, I thought at least one of the “new laws” looked bogus — the one that said “Speeders can only drive 3 miles above the limit.” Right.
I’m sure the person at work who forwarded the email thought was legitimate — I think we were all vaguely aware of the “hands free” cell phone use law kicking in soon, but I don’t think any of us knew when it would be. Turns out it is July 1, but in 2008. Also, I’m sure the person at work who forwarded the email meant well, but it only takes a bit of Googling to figure out what’s real and what’s not.