Darleene M. Powells
darleene -at- gmail -dot- com
I am digital content veteran with an instinct for viral stories, the deft touch of a features writer and a keen eye for editing.
CBSLA.com, Online Producer, 10/05 – present
Cover breaking news, edit wire copy and write original stories to package with images, video and audio for publication online. Work with reporters in the field, assignment desk editors and producers in the studio to ensure accuracy of breaking stories as they occur. Oversee livestreams of breaking news events. Optimize and curate content on homepage and site’s sub-landing pages for optimum play on social media such as Facebook and Twitter. Create special features, polls, quizzes and slideshows about Lakers, Dodgers, celebrities and more. Train new producers and freelancers on unified site style, tone and voice. Serve as mentor to newsroom interns and apprentices.
»Subscribe to my most recent stories on CBSLA.com
CBSLA.com, Interim Features Editor, 9/12 – 19/13
Managed team of 30+ freelance writers producing content for the Best of LA and Best of Orange County sections of CBSLA.com. Increased unique visitors by introducing organic content strategy utilizing Facebook and Twitter. Worked with freelance writers to develop targeted local content for Los Angeles, Orange County and surrounding areas. Brainstormed story ideas and maintained bank of evergreen content. Edited and wrote sponsored and branded content. Managed local and national editorial calendars and streamlined deadline system. Negotiated writing contracts and freelancer payments. Trained successor on editorial style, project management, content promotion strategies and best practices. Prior to handing off the assignment, Best of LA and Best of Orange County experienced record high traffic for three consecutive months.
The Wedding Decorator, Editor, 01/05 – present
Wrote content and shot photos from work done while decorating weddings. Redesigned WordPress site to be mobile-friendly. Used Google Analytics to deliver content tailored to searched-for keywords and phrases. Developed social media strategy to boost traffic and engage with readers.
Glendale News-Press (A Times Community Newspaper), Reporter, 2/03 – 9/05
Covered business and politics for the News-Press, the Foothill Leader and the Burbank Leader. Served previously as the education reporter, covering Glendale and La Cañada unified school districts, and cops and courts reporter, covering the Glendale Police Department.
City News Service, Century City, CA
Part-time cops reporter, 11/02 – 2/03
Worked the overnight shift at Parker Center-LAPD Headquarters’ media room writing traffic, police and crime stories for three counties.
The San Gabriel Valley Tribune, West Covina, CA
Freelance reporter, 10/02 – 2/03
Wrote about community events in the San Gabriel Valley for the weekly Highlander section. Occasionally also shot digital photographs.
The Arizona Republic, Phoenix, AZ
Features Reporter, 6/02 – 8/02
Was the sole Home & Garden beat reporter for two months. Also wrote feature assignments for the Food & Drink and Arizona Living sections, including Q & A interviews.
The Orange County Register, Lake Forest, CA
Freelance reporter/intern, 3/02 – 5/02
Covered Laguna Hills, writing daily “Our Town” news for the daily. For the weekly, wrote about city hall meetings, features about Laguna Hills’ citizens, collected the weekly cop blotter and calendar items.
Brana Fine Art, Pacific Palisades, CA
Webmaster, 5/01 – 5/02
Redesigned the Web site to make it easier to navigate for the gallery’s audience and to make the site easier to update for the graphic designer and programmer. Maintained the site, administrated the email distribution list and wrote the biweekly newsletter.
The Daily Titan, Cal State Fullerton, CA
Editor in Chief, 1/00-12/01
Served as assistant news editor, news editor, production manager and finished as editor in chief. Supervised a staff of 30+, designed pages and oversaw production each night.
California State University, Fullerton
B.A. in journalism and Asian American studies, 06/02
Activities & Honors
- Author of the blog, darleeneisms, since 1998
- Author of the Tumblr blog, The Hack Mom, since 2011
- Alumnus of the Asian American Journalists Association
- 2009 Co-President, Los Angeles Chapter
- 2009 Trivia Bowl fundraising event coordinator
- 2008 Los Angeles Chapter Board Member, website redesign committee member
- Best Writing and Best Spot News Story awards, Times Community News, 2003
- 2002 Pulliam Journalism Fellow
- CSUF Asian American Studies Department Craig & Claire Ihara Outstanding Asian Pacific American Student of the Year, May 2002
- CSUF Communications Department Award for Professional Promise in Journalism, May 2002
- First Place Daily, Newspaper of the Year, 2002 Associated College Press Conference, Los Angeles
- First Place Daily, Sept. 11 Special Coverage, 2002 Associated College Press Conference, Los Angeles
- Eighth Place, 2001-2002, In-Depth Writing category, Hearst Journalism Competition
- First Place Feature Story, 2001 On-Site competition, California Intercollegiate Press Association
- Social media – Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Tumblr and Instagram
- Blogging – WordPress
- Web site development – Adobe GoLive, Dreamweaver. Proficient with HTML and CSS. Some knowledge of PHP and Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- Graphics – Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
- Print Layout – Quark Xpress (PC & Mac)
- Operating systems – Mac and PC
- Still photography (digital)